The idea of the perfect body is constantly around us in todays culture. It is quite obvious with all of the 24 hour gyms popping up and the diet or weight loss commercials that come on every 10 seconds on t.v.. I believe that the media for the most part, mainly media geared towards girls, doesn’t portray the norm. This can lead to some of the issues Croll talks about. The reason I believe its geared mostly to girls is that the males we guys see on magazines such as ESPN or other sport magazines are athletes. So they look the way they need to. It is necessary for their occupation to be big and strong. Where as in the case of models, the reason why they are so skinny is because it became then norm right of the back. There is no physical reason for a model to be so skinny, but there is a reason why a line men needs to weigh a considerable amount, that is so he can do his job. Croll did a good job of distrubiting “factual information” which was geared to defending his stance. I agreed with some of it but failed to see what Croll was seeing on other points. Croll said that “over one-third of males think their current size is to small” while this may be the case I think guys naturally or instinctively want to get bigger. Bigger or stronger so that they can protect the ones they love or do a job more efficiently. Or if they are playing a sport they need to get bigger or slender sometimes to be better at. It is all situational and varies from person to person. Even though I do believe advertisements geared to a flawless image are wrong I believe we do it to ourselves. Since the thing that is fueling this whole image issue is MONEY. Over the years we have constantly poured more a more money into things that will help us look better. Everything from new face creams to plastic surgery. And everyone wants money so why not create a new diet plan and throw it out there so you can make a quick buck. So what is the answer to this social dilemma? Who knows and truly I do not care or think twice about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment