Sunday, March 20, 2011

A modest proposal indeed!

Swift makes an excellent argument one which I wish we went through with. I'm sure if we had followed his proposal over population wouldn't be such a problem. Selling children as a delicacy was an excellent idea he came up with. As Swift mentions in "A Modest Proposal" it would "prevent those voluntary abortions, and that horrid practice of women murdering their bastard children, alas, too frequent among us, sacrificing the poor innocent babes, I doubt, more to avoid the expense than the shame, which would move tears and pity in the most savage inhuman breast" (355). I agree with Swift we can save the children from these horrible deaths of murder and abortion if we just sold them as food. Clearly this all is ironic I dont honestly believe we should sell babies. Either way we would be killing babies. So it is clearly satire of the highest nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment